Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mango Pepper Jelly - a Homemade Gift for ANY Occasion.



Okay, so I realize now that I need to start taking photo's of each step in order to have a good visual for my blog.  From now on that's what I'll do!  But since this is only my SECOND post, I'm sure you'll forgive me...right?  RIGHT!?

My hubby LOVES this stuff! Eat it with brie cheese and crackers.  Not just a gift...make it for yourself too!

This year at my work Christmas Party I received an awesome gift from my Secret Santa.  It was a jar of homemade Mango Pepper Jelly, brie cheese and a box of Water Crackers.  I loved it and it was SO delicious that I thought, "Hey!  I should should give this as a gift too!"  So I immediately tracked down my "secret" Santa and got the recipe from her...thanks Mel!  The original recipe comes from Kraft Kitchens and was called Spicy Mango Salsa, however, my friend, Mel made a few adjustments and it is no longer "spicy" and she renamed it Mango Pepper Jelly as it is definitely more jelly than salsa.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
4 cups of peeled, finely chopped mango (I used frozen as I have never mastered the cutting of a mango!) 
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (make sure to remove stems)
1/4 cup white vinegar

Grated rind and juice from 2 limes
7 cups of sugar
2 pouches of liquid fruit pectin

Instructions:
I threw the first 7 ingredients into food processor to do all the chopping, except for the red pepper which I did on it's own first because it gives off a lot of liquid, so I removed it from the food processor when done and drained off the liquid.

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan.

Add lime zest, juice and sugar.  Mix Well.  Place saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.

Immediately stir in 2 pouches of liquid fruit pectin (I used CERTO).  Continue to stir and skim the foam for 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit and pour quickly into warm, sterilized jars filling up to 1/4 inch from rim.

Seal while hot with sterilized 2-piece lids with new centres.

I have linked up here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments and welcome your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...